Barbara Nelson Lanier

Attorney at Law

CALL TODAY  912-234-5944

Post-Divorce Modifications

Any change in terms after a divorce decree is finalized is considered a modification of the order. Modifications are not uncommon over the course of time, and consulting with a knowledgeable Savannah child support modification attorney can help dispel any confusion and ensure that your interests are protected. For over 20 years, I have educated people in Savannah, Richmond Hill and the surrounding areas on their rights, and I can do the same for you.

To establish the need for a modification order to a Georgia court, a change in circumstances must have occurred. Examples include a change in job or income or decreased obligations to a child who is no longer a minor. Another common trigger for a modification request is relocation. The nonmoving party may petition the court for reduced child support, offsetting the increased cost of travel for visitation.

Why An Attorney Is Essential

Guesses carry no weight with the court. If you suspect, for example, that your ex-spouse has received a promotion and pay increase — a change in circumstance that might entitle you to a child support modification — you must supply proof. Your ex might not be cooperative, but your attorney can request payroll information as part of the discovery process. If your suspicions are correct, you can then file a petition for modification with reasoning to the court. This is just one example of how important it is to have an experienced lawyer on your side.

I can help you with modifications to your divorce decree, including:

  • Child support modifications
  • Custody modifications
  • Visitation modifications
  • Alimony modifications

Call Today To Learn More

Whether you are in the process of getting divorced or seeking a modification of an existing decree, you need a skilled attorney who truly understands how it works. Call 912-417-9726 for your no-obligation consultation with me, Barbara Nelson Lanier, or you can email me here.

Practice Areas

Contact the Firm